To obtain a new passport or a first time passport, you must provide an original or a certified copy of one of the following:
- Certified birth certificate (long form, not abstract).
- Consulate Report of Birth Abroad Certificate.
- Naturalization Certificate.
- The long form birth certificates must be issued by city, county, or state of birth, lists bearer’s full name, date of birth and place of birth, lists parent(s) full names, has date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth), has registrar’s signature and has embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal of registrar.
- If you do not meet the requirements view Secondary Evidence of US Citizenship.
- To order a Certified Copy of your birth certificate, click here.
- If you have ever had a US Passport and currently do not have proof of US citizenship, please request for a file search. Click here to request for a file search.
Minors (16 years of age, or below):
- Certified birth certificate (long form, not abstract) is required.
- Previous passport (if available).